Educational Accommodations

The mission of the Office of Disability Services is to ensure an accessible learning experience in which students with disabilities have equal opportunity for participation in all programs, services, and activities. Students or applicants who have accommodation requests are encouraged to contact the Office of Disability Services at or 888-785-3005.

Although disclosure of a disability is not required for applicants or students to attend CSU, registration with the Office of Disability Services is required in order to receive accommodations. Please see below for registration materials, contact information, and a summary of the registration process.

Registration Process

Self-Disclosure and Accommodation Request

Contact the Office of Disability Services, submitting a Student Self-Disclosure and Accommodation Request form. The accommodations must be reasonable and must be for courses currently in progress or for future courses, not for courses previously completed. Please refer to the forms and handbook at the links below for more information.


Submit documentation of the disability to support the accommodation request.

Disability Services Registration Packet (pdf)
Office of Disability Services Handbook (pdf)

Contact Information:


Fax: 251-923-2501

Phone: 888-785-3005

Mailing Address:
Columbia Southern University
P.O. Box 3110
Orange Beach, AL 36561
Attn: Success Center, Office of Disability Services

If you need to obtain a copy of documentation from a physician or other licensed practitioner, please complete a Student Release of Information form and provide it to the diagnosing professional, along with a Disability Verification Form found in the Disability Services Registration Packet.

Documentation may include, but is not limited to, one or more of the following:

  • Medical records
  • A record of a disability from a licensed, professional evaluator
  • A psychoeducational evaluation
  • A military or veteran record of a disability
  • A record of a disability or accommodations from a previous school or university

For documentation guidelines and more information on the Office of Disability Services, please refer to the Office of Disability Services Handbook. If the documentation is incomplete or inadequate, the university may request additional information; however, please feel free to submit the documentation you already have for consideration. (Documentation guidelines at other universities or at testing centers may differ from those at Columbia Southern University.)

Accommodation planning

Communicate with a staff member by phone or email to develop an accommodation plan. The time required to arrange accommodations can vary; it is recommended that the registration process begin at least six weeks prior to the first course start date, although students may register at any time during their degree program.


Your course professors will be notified of the accommodations but not the type of disability. Registered students should notify Disability Services whenever new course enrollments are submitted in order to help ensure accommodation provision.

Temporary Disabilities

Accommodation requests for temporary disabilities are considered on a case-by-case basis and require registration with the Office of Disability Services.

Contact your academic advisor if guidance is needed on applying for an adjusted course end date or a course withdrawal.  For more information, please see the CSU Student Handbook.

Licensure and Certification Exam Accommodations

Columbia Southern University accommodations are not applicable to exams administered by external organizations, whose guidelines may differ. Testing accommodation requests for certification or licensure exams should be submitted directly to the regulatory body (testing organization) in advance of the exam.

Accommodation-related Complaints and Grievances

Contact the disability services coordinator in the Office of Disability Services for assistance with any complaints regarding reasonable educational accommodations or disability-related services.

Section 504 / ADA Grievances

To submit a 504/ADA grievance or to report a university accessibility concern, please email