Hero Behind the Hero Scholarships
Columbia Southern University recognizes the sacrifices made by the family members of America’s military men and women, and public safety personnel (firefighters, law enforcement officers, EMTs and dispatchers). Each award date, one scholarship will be awarded to the spouse or child of a National Guard or active-duty military member or to the spouse or child of a public safety personnel.
Available to both future and current CSU students, the scholarship will cover up to 60 credit hours toward one online degree program. The scholarship will be applied directly to the recipient’s tuition for up to three years or until the completion of the selected online degree program, whichever comes first.
- Eligible candidates must submit acceptable verification documentation of spouse or parent’s public safety or military affiliation. See below for acceptable verification documentation.
- Applicants must have a high school transcript or equivalent (GED).
- Applicants must be available to begin coursework within 90 days of the award date.
- Candidates must be capable of maintaining a 2.0 undergraduate or 3.0 graduate GPA.
- Applicants must remain in good standing with CSU throughout degree program.
- Applicants must maintain continuous enrollment in a degree program.
- Current CSU students must already meet these requirements for consideration.
Acceptable Verification Documentation Includes:
- A Statement of employment on company letterhead from a superior
- Copy of an employment ID card
- Copy of applicant's Tricare Card
- Copy of orders
- Letter from the military member’s command
- By law, CSU cannot accept military ID copies
CSU will award one scholarship during each award month listed below, for a total of four scholarships awarded annually.
|Scholarship Application Period
||Scholarship Award Month
|January 17 — February 28
|April 1 — May 31
|July 5 — August 31
|September 27 — November 25
The Columbia Southern University scholarship committee will select the winners, and announce the winners before the final day of the award months listed. The winners will receive a phone call and all non-winners will receive an email notifying them of the decision. For any questions or concerns, please email the scholarship liaison at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 888-785-3006.