Columbia Southern University has partnered with the Alabama Fire College (AFC) to offer the NFPA 1021: Standard for Fire Officer Professional Qualifications, Fire Officer I training and certification exam completely online. CE 1003, Fire Officer I, is offered as a continuing education course and may lead to IFSAC and ProBoard certification through the Alabama Fire College. Upon successful completion of CE 1003, students are eligible to sit for the certification exam provided by the Alabama Fire College and Personnel Standards Commission.
IFSAC or ProBoard Certified Fire Fighter II; IFSAC or ProBoard Fire Instructor I
All course materials are included in the course at no additional fee.
International Fire Service Training Association. (2014). Fire and emergency services company officer (5th ed.). Stillwater, OK: Fire Protection Publications.
Additional Course Information
Step by Step to Certification:
- Ensure that all prerequisites for the course have been met.
- Register for the CE 1003, Fire Officer I continuing education course.
- Complete all of the skills (projects in CE 1003, Fire Officer I) with an overall score of 70 percent or higher on each assignment.
- Upon successful completion of the CE 1003, Fire Officer I continuing education course, the CEUs earned can be evaluated to possibly become transfer credit into a degree program as three hours of lower level elective credit.
- Upon successful completion of the CE 1003, Fire Officer I continuing education course, students may elect to attempt the Fire Officer I certification exam administered by Alabama Fire College.
- Register for the Fire Officer I certification exam.
- Designate an AFC approved proctor.
- Attempt the Fire Officer I certification exam. The certification exam will be administered by Alabama Fire College after successful completion of the course.
- Upon successfully passing the Fire Officer I certification exam, Alabama Fire College will issue the official certificate to the student.
Prerequisites to Take Certification Exam
IFSAC or ProBoard Certified Firefighter II and Certified Fire Instructor I and successful completion of all projects in CE 1003, Fire Officer I, with an earned grade of 70 percent or better on each assignment.