Course Code: CSU-ALT
Course Duration: 6 months
Contact Hours: 750
This comprehensive program prepares students for a position as an Assisted Living Technician. Emphasis is on providing care to clients living in retirement communities or senior housing complexes where full-time care may not be required, but an understanding and professional staff is necessary to be there for them when needed. Seniors in these communities may require various levels and types assistance depending on their specific situation, needs and wants. Assisted Living Technicians are compassionate, caring and skilled healthcare professionals that provide this assistance or care for the peace of mind of both the senior population in their charge and the families who wish to see their loved ones continue to thrive in their later years. This program will ensure students are prepared to provide a variety of essential services for their clients with the compassion, sensitivity and understanding necessary to provide care when needed and independence when not. Beyond the medical training provided, this course will ensure students have full understanding of the assisted living environment.
Education and Certifications
- Students should have or be pursuing a high school diploma or GED.
- There are no state approval and/or state requirements associated with this program.
- There are several National Certification exams that are available to students who successfully complete this program:
- National Health career Association (NHA) Certified Clinical Medical assistant (CCMA) Exam
- Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Certification Exam.
At the conclusion of this program, students will be able to:
- Describe long-term care in terms of the target populations, environment, care options,general costs, services, and regulations
- Describe the physiological, psychological, and sociological changes related to aging
- Describe memory care needs and options for individuals with diseases and disorders
- Explain proper procedures for infection control in a home or residential environment
- Explain the proper procedures for performing basic housekeeping procedures
- Explain procedures and strategies for planning, purchasing, and serving food
- Explain the proper procedures for safely assisting an individual in activities of daily living
- Explain procedures for preventing fluid overload and dehydration
- Explain proper procedures for applying a variety of warm and cold applications
- Describe important considerations and practices for offering activities and programs commonly in assisted living environments
- Explain procedures involved in caring for individuals with special needs such as cancer,immunosuppressive disorders, mental health issues, substance abuse disorders, specimen collections, changing dressings, testing blood glucose,administration of medication, and performing other types of common specialized care
- Describe effective and appropriate care of an individual who is dying
- Explain rehabilitative therapies for individuals in a residential environment
- Explain common preoperative and postoperative care procedures
- Use Microsoft Office
Upon successful completion of this Columbia Southern University program, students would be eligible to sit for the National Health career Association (NHA) Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) exam and the Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) exam. Although there are no state approval, state registration or other state requirements for this program, students who complete this program at Columbia Southern University will be prepared and are eligible to sit for the NHA CCMA certification exam and the MOS national certification exam and are qualified, eligible and prepared to do so. Columbia Southern University works with each student to complete the exam application and register the student to take their national certification exam.
Clinical Externship / Hands on Training / Practicum
Although not a requirement, once students complete the program, they have the ability to participate in a clinical externship and/or hands on practicum so as to practice the skills necessary to perform the job requirements of a professional in this field. Students will be assisted with completing a resume and/or other requirements necessary to work in this field. All students who complete this program are eligible to participate in an externship and placed with a participating organization near their location. Columbia Southern University works with national organizations and has the ability to place students in externship opportunities nationwide.Program Details (PDF)