The National Fire Academy (NFA):
Executive Fire Officer Program (EFOP) & CSU!
Many of our alumni have shown an interest in furthering their careers by applying to the Executive Fire Officer Program through the National Fire Academy. It is with great pride that CSU helps in the success of this journey.
For those who have applied and been accepted, we have been working on developing a program to assist our future leaders by providing guidance and support as you produce your research projects over the next few years. Columbia Southern University wants to ensure the success of our graduates and the future of the American Fire and Emergency Services.
CSU Writing Center
The Writing Center is available to help Columbia Southern University students and alumni in the EFO program. Writing Center services for EFO students include:
- Consultation with a writing specialists to determine writing needs
- Send your paper to the writing specialist in sections. This will help the specialist return your paper more efficiently, and it will also help ensure that the pieces of your paper flow. Submit your sections for review over a span of several months that will allow time for your revision per section. Set your submission dates early for each section.
- Part 1 (Introduction, Background and Significance): (Submit one to two months into the ARP process)
- Part 2 (Literature Review, Procedures): (Submit three to four months into the ARP process)
- Part 3 (Results, Discussions and Recommendations): (Submit five to six months into the ARP process)
- Part 4 (Complete paper with abstract and final formatting [table of contents, certification statement, title page, reference list, and appendices]): (Submit seven to eight months into the ARP process)
*If the process of submitting the ARP parts is followed, then a specialist will be able to give feedback on the part submitted within one month
Assistance setting goals and deadlines for writing your paper
- Help with the set-up and formatting of your paper
- Explanation of how to write in academic language
- APA assistance
- Clarification of paper sections
- Grammar help and resources
- Referral to library services for research assistance
Tips on how to be successful when writing your EFO papers
- Start early! The more time you allow for the writing and editing process, the easier this process will be.
- Schedule a consultation with a writing specialist as soon as your topic is approved. The specialist will be able to help you set deadlines that will help you with the writing process.
- Remember, writing specialists are not here to serve as editors for your paper. They are here to help you with the writing process and provide you with resources to help you successfully complete your project. It’s always a good idea to have a friend or family member read through your paper for grammatical and spelling mistakes.
The following tutorial has more information on EFO (Applied Research Project) and how the Writing Center can assist you. http://columbiasouthern.adobeconnect.com/efo/
CSU Library Staff
The CSU professional librarians are available to work with CSU EFO students on their assigned research. Telephone and email research assistance is provided during regular CSU business hours (8:00-5:00 M-Th, 8:00-3:00 F). The toll-free number for the library is 877.268.8046 and the email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
The CSU Online Library staff can assist with obtaining information from
- The EFOP special collection of applied research projects
- The U.S. Fire Administration Library
- Internet resources in the Library catalog
- Online or downloadable first responder dissertations and theses
- Online materials from the Fire Prevention and Public Education Exchange
- E-books for current EFO students
- Additional NSFA data and publications
- U.S. fire statistics
- USFA online publications
- National Fire Department Census
- Other open online collections of fire-related research
CSU librarians can also help identify sources of research information that can be obtained or used onsite through a student’s local public or academic libraries.
Research can be challenging and the CSU librarians are happy to help with that process!
For more information, please email EFO-Support@ColumbiaSouthern.edu.