Federal Student Aid Policies and Procedures

Unusual Enrollment History (UEH)

Effective with the 2013-2014 award year, the Department of Education has implemented new federal regulations in an effort to prevent fraud and abuse in the Federal Pell Grant Program by identifying students that have received federal Pell Grants at multiple institutions for the 2010-2011, 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 funding years.

A financial aid application flagged “2” and “3” will be reviewed by the Office of Financial Aid for unusual enrollment history (UEH) to determine whether or not the student is enrolling only long enough to receive cash refunds of federal student aid. The Office of Financial Aid at Columbia Southern University will access the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) for a complete enrollment history to include name of each college or university and dates of attendance. Students will be required to provide academic transcripts or grade reports from all colleges and universities attended during the review period. If federal Pell Grants were received and credit hours were not earned at each of the institutions attended, a student may be determined ineligible for federal student aid.

How to resolve:

  • If your Student Aid Report (SAR) includes a UEH flag 3, please complete the Unusual Enrollment History Form pdf and submit to the Office of Financial Aid along with all required documentation. Documentation may be faxed to (251) 224-0590 or emailed to financialaid@columbiasouthern.edu.
  • If your SAR includes UEH flag 2, the Office of Financial Aid will notify you if anything further is needed.

All required documentation must be received and the UEH flag must be resolved before a student is eligible to receive federal student aid.

Unusual Enrollment Appeal
If after reviewing all supporting documentation a student is determined ineligible for federal student aid, he/she may appeal the determination by completing the Unusual Enrollment History Appeal Form pdf and submitting any additional supporting documentation to the Office of Financial Aid. Students will be notified via email of the outcome of the appeal within 14 business days of receipt of all required documentation.

Regaining Federal Student Aid Eligibility
A student determined ineligible for federal student aid as a result of UEH will have the opportunity to regain their eligibility. To be considered for financial aid reinstatement a student must be unconditionally admitted to the university; earn credit in three 8 week Terms without officially or unofficially withdrawing from any attempted courses; and meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards. If all requirements are met, a student must contact the Office of Financial Aid to determine reinstatement eligibility.

^ Back to top

Verification Policy

CSU must check the accuracy of all applications the Central Processing System (CPS) selects for verification, with the exception of students receiving unsubsidized loans only. The CPS will select applicants for verification based on edit checks which identify inconsistencies and/or potential errors. CSU must also verify any application the university has reason to believe is incorrect or discrepant.

All financial aid applicants are encouraged to file federal income tax returns for applicant, parent and/or spouse as applicable, prior to completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This will allow students and prospective students to utilize the IRS Data Retrieval tool when completing the FAFSA. The IRS Data Retrieval tool saves time and increases the accuracy of the financial information collected on the FAFSA. The IRS Data Retrieval tool is also the fastest and most secure solution for meeting verification requirements if applicable.

Students selected for verification will be sent an email notification with a secure username and password directing them to login to the CSU Financial Aid Portal. This portal will allow students to view all required financial aid documents, check the status of their financial aid application and view their financial aid award once complete. If CSU receives a subsequent FAFSA for a student selected for verification after they have been initially awarded federal financial aid, all future disbursements will be placed on hold. The student will be notified of the verification requirements and will have 30 days to complete the process. If verification is not complete, all previously disbursed federal financial aid will be returned which will result in a balance due on the student account.

The data reported on the verification worksheet, federal tax transcript and other supporting documentation provided is checked against the appropriate data elements on the FAFSA. All conflicting information will need to be corrected on the FAFSA by the school or student as applicable and a new expected family contribution (EFC) will be calculated. Students will not be awarded federal financial aid until verification is complete. If CSU receives a subsequent FAFSA affecting overall financial aid eligibility, the financial aid award will be adjusted as applicable. The updated information may require a return of already received federal student aid funds resulting in a balance due on the student account. A student will be notified via email of any changes and directed to login to the CSU Financial Aid Portal to view the updated award information and/or additional requirements.

Financial Aid Deadlines
CSU offers several 8 Week Term start dates throughout the award year. Below are the deadlines in which an unconditionally admitted student must have all required financial aid documents on file in order to enroll in applicable Term.

Term Start Date Financial Aid Documents Deadline
4B14  -  February 5, 2014 January 14, 2014
5A14 – March 12, 2014 February 18, 2014
5B14 – April 09, 2014 March 18, 2014
6A14 – May 14, 2014 April 22, 2014
6B14 – June 11, 2014 May 20, 2014

^ Back to top

Undergraduate Grade Level Determination

Any student pursuing an undergraduate degree must be classified by grade level, as well as meet grade level progression in order to comply with the requirements of FSA and the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program.  Graduate students do not have grade level requirements.

Please refer to the table below to determine the grade level or the progression rate of an undergraduate student.

Number of Credits Completed Student’s Grade Level
0 to 24 credits Freshman
25 to 48 credits Sophomore
49 to 72 credits Junior
73 or more credits Senior

Grade level progression occurs after 24 semester hours are successfully completed.  This is based off of the federal requirement that an academic year must meet minimum requirements.  At CSU, this means a minimum of 24 semester hours and a minimum of 30 weeks of instruction.

Any new student entering CSU wishing to use FSA must first be fully accepted into an approved program.  The results of the evaluation will determine what credit will transfer into CSU, which will also determine the student’s current grade level.  While attending CSU, the student will need to submit a course transfer request form if subsequent coursework is completed outside of CSU.  Then the student’s grade level would be recalculated using the additional transfer credit to ensure that the student’s account and grade level will be accurate.

Regarding loan limits associated with a student’s grade level, a student will only progress to a higher grade level once he/she begins a new academic year.

Award Year Requirements

A student is required to complete an academic year in order to receive additional federal student loans. CSU defines our academic year as 24 semester hours over a period of 32 weeks of instructional time for undergraduate students and 12 semester hours over a period of 32 weeks of instructional time for graduate students. If a student drops or withdraws and fails to complete the academic year requirements and exhausts all of their financial aid eligibility for the award year, they may be required to take courses using an alternative method of payment in order to complete the required hours.

^ Back to top

Loan Counseling

Loan Entrance/Exit Counseling (Required)

The U.S. Department of Education requires that any student receiving a direct loan complete loan entrance and exit counseling. Loan entrance counseling provides information to students concerning how to manage student loans, both during and after college. Exit Counseling is generally required once a student drops below half-time enrollment status, withdraws or graduates. The student must notify the CSU Office of Financial Aid prior to withdrawal or graduation for loan exit counseling. The purpose of loan exit counseling is to inform the student of their tentative total loans received while in attendance at CSU and to provide the student with an estimated payment schedule.

Borrower Rights & Responsibilities

The borrower has the right to receive the following information before leaving school.

  • The amount of the student's total debt (principal and estimated interest), what the student's interest late is, and the total interest charges on the loan(s)
  • A loan repayment schedule that lets the student know when his/her first payment is due, the number and frequency of payments, and the amount of each payment
  • If the student has FFEL Program Loans, the name of the lender or agency that holds the student's loan(s), where to send the student's payments, and where to write or call if the student has questions
  • The fees the student should expect during the repayment period, such as late charges and collection or litigation costs if delinquent or in default
  • An explanation of available options for consolidating or refinancing the student's loan
  • A statement that the student can repay his/her loan without penalty at any time

The borrower has a responsibility to do the following.

  • Understand that by signing the promissory note, the student is agreeing to repay the loan according to the terms of the note
  • Make payments on the student loan even if the student does not receive a bill or repayment notice
  • If the student applies for a deferment or forbearance, he/she must still continue to make payments until notification that the request has been granted
  • Notify the appropriate representative (institution, agency, or lender) that manages the student's loan when the student graduates, withdraws from school, or drops below half-time status; changes his/her name, address, or Social Security Number, or transfers to another institution
  • Receive entrance counseling before being given the first loan disbursement, and to receive exit counseling before leaving school

^ Back to top

FSA Disbursements

When a student applies for financial aid, the package awarded is based on an academic year. The academic year consist of 4 terms (32 weeks). FSA awarded for the academic year will be divided into four payment periods that will cover each term.

Federal loans to students and Pell Grant disbursements will not post to the students’ accounts until after day 14 of the term. After the first week of the term has ended, CSU will verify that the first week of assignments have been completed in all courses enrolled for that term. It is very important that a student completes the first week of instructional requirements; otherwise it will result in the student being institutionally dropped from the course(s). Any Pell eligible student institutionally dropped from a course(s) will have an adjustment to their award.

Once federal funds have been disbursed, students will receive a disbursement notice via email from the CSU Office of Financial Aid.

^ Back to top

Financial Aid Refunds

If there is a credit balance remaining on a student’s account after all obligations are paid, a financial aid refund will be generated. Financial aid refunds are not generated until the instructors have completed their attendance verifications. The attendance verifications must be completed for each class that a student is registered for or the financial aid refund will be delayed.

Automated Clearing House (ACH) is the University’s preferred method for processing student refunds. The ACH method allows the University to deposit your refund directly into a U.S. checking or savings account. This is the most efficient and expeditious way to process a refund.

You may enroll in ACH deposit via mycsu.columbiasouthern.edu. You will need your bank routing number and your checking or savings account number. This information is available on the bottom of your checks or directly from your banking institution. We understand that many people may not carry checks. In this case, you should obtain a letter from your financial institution on their letterhead with the pertinent bank account routing information on it and return it with the ACH form.

PLEASE NOTE: International students may only receive ACH deposit into a U.S. checking or savings account.

If you do not sign up for the ACH method, a check for the credit balance will be mailed to your current address in our database.

^ Back to top

Return of Title IV Funds

If a student receiving Title IV funds ceases to be enrolled in a term, the Federal government mandates that CSU must determine the amount of Title IV earned as of the date the student ceased attendance (withdrawal date). The portion of Title IV a student is entitled to receive is calculated on a percentage basis by comparing the total number of calendar days in the term to the number of calendar days completed prior to withdrawing. For example, if a student withdraws from all courses after completing 20% of a term, they would be entitled to 20% of the aid awarded for the term and 80% of the aid awarded would be unearned and returned to the Federal government. If the percentage of aid earned is greater than 60%, the student is considered to have earned all aid for the term in which the student withdrew.

Return of Unearned Aid
In accordance with federal regulations, CSU is required to return all funds that were disbursed to the student in which the student was determined to be ineligible for based on the R2T4 calculation. The unearned aid will be returned to the Federal government in the following order:

  • Direct Unsubsidized Loan
  • Direct Subsidized Loan
  • Direct Parent or Graduate PLUS Loan
  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

Withdrawal Date
The withdrawal date used to perform the R2T4 calculation is the date the student officially notified CSU of their intent to withdraw.

Unofficial Withdrawals
The withdrawal date used to perform the R2T4 calculation for students who unofficially withdraw from all courses will be the midpoint of the term, or the last date of attendance; whichever is greater.

Post Withdrawal Disbursement
A student may be eligible to receive a post withdrawal disbursement if after performing a R2T4 calculation it is determined a student has earned additional awarded aid not yet disbursed. Students are required to accept any portion of a post withdrawal disbursement of loan funds to avoid incurring unnecessary loan debt. All funds will be applied to any outstanding charges related to tuition and fees prior to issuing a stipend to the student.

This policy is subject to change in order to comply with administrative and regulatory requirements. Questions regarding this policy should be addressed to the Director of Financial Aid.

^ Back to top

Leave of Absence Policy

Students enrolled in term enrollment programs that are unable to enroll in one or more terms may apply for a temporary Leave of Absence (LOA) from the university. This policy is designed to allow a student the flexibility to take a temporary break from their academic program and upon return a student will not be required to apply for readmission to the university. A student will not be granted a LOA in the middle of a term, therefore for purposes of Title IV a student granted a temporary LOA will be considered withdrawn from the university during this time. A student is expected to complete all courses if currently enrolled in a term and apply for a LOA to begin at the start of the next term in the academic program. If a student is having difficulty or unable to complete all courses in the term they may apply for an incomplete, an incomplete for special circumstance or withdraw, in which case a Return of Title IV calculation may be required.

A student may apply for a LOA by submitting the Leave of Absence Request Form located in the myCSU Student Portal. All requests must be submitted a minimum of 3 weeks prior to the start of the term a student will be unable to attend. A temporary LOA from the university will only be granted to a student planning to return to their academic program at the end of the LOA. In addition, for undergraduate and graduate students the LOA request may not exceed more than two consecutive terms within a 12 month period. A student may request more than one LOA during their academic program not to exceed two terms within a 12 month period. Doctoral students who are enrolled in term enrollment programs may request to take a LOA for one term only within a 12 month period not to exceed three terms during their academic program. Doctoral students who are enrolled in Per-course enrollment programs may request to take a LOA for one enrollment period within a 12 month period not to exceed three enrollment periods during their academic program. A student may return from a LOA early and resume enrollment in the next available term or enrollment period.

Important facts concerning a Leave of Absence:

  • For purposes of Title IV a student will be considered withdrawn from the University while on a LOA; therefore federal student loans are not eligible for an in-school deferment;
  • A student will not be eligible to receive federal student aid while on a LOA;
  • A student who fails to return from a LOA will be required to reapply for admissions to the University after a period of 12 months of inactivity in their academic program.

Military/Special Services Leave of Absence Provision

Undergraduate, Graduate and Doctoral students requiring a military or special services deployment may request a provisional LOA for the designated deployment period up to 12 consecutive months. A student may apply for a provisional LOA by submitting the Leave of Absence Request Form located in myCSU Student Portal. In addition, a student must provide supporting documentation regarding the nature and period of deployment from their commanding officer or supervisor. If the military or special services deployment occurs during a course, the student may be required to withdraw from the course or request an incomplete for special circumstances.

Students should contact their Academic Advisor and the Office of Financial Aid to discuss potential academic and financial implications prior to taking a LOA from their academic program.

^ Back to top

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy (SAP) for Title IV Students

Federal regulations require CSU to establish and apply reasonable standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) for eligible students to receive financial assistance under the programs authorized by Title IV of the Higher Education Act. Please review the full SAP policy under Academic Policies in the Student Handbook: http://www.columbiasouthern.edu/Future-Students/Student-Handbook. Students who have questions concerning the SAP policy should contact the Office of the Registrar at Registrar@columbiasouthern.ed

Drug Convictions Policy

According to federal law, a student who has been convicted of the sale or possession of illegal drugs under any federal or state law during a period of enrollment for which the student was receiving financial aid (grant, loans, and/or work-study) is not eligible for federal student aid. A conviction that was reversed, set aside, or removed from the student's record does not affect federal student aid eligibility, nor does a conviction received when the student was a minor, unless the student was tried as an adult.

If a student is convicted of an offense involving:   Possession of illegal drugs Sale of Illegal drugs
1st offense 1 year from date of conviction 2 years from date of conviction
2nd offense 2 years from date of conviction Indefinite period
3+ offenses Indefinite period

If the student was convicted of both possessing and selling illegal drugs and the period of ineligibility are different, the student may be ineligible for federal student aid for a longer period of time.

A student regains eligibility the day after the period of ineligibility ends or when he successfully completes a qualified drug rehabilitation program. Further drug convictions will impact federal student aid eligibility as well.

For more information, please review FAFSA’s Student Eligibility Worksheet.