Homeland Security Specialist Certificate Program with Externship
Program Duration: 6 Months
Course Contact Hours: 375
Student Tuition: $3,799
This program is designed to prepare successful students to work in various Homeland Security agencies at a local, state or federal level. Specifically for those students whose career-focus is in counter-terrorism, counter-intelligence, national security or government security, this program is a great way to examine new and different subject areas within this growing field. The program provides an overview of the elements involved in the homeland security function, as well as the challenges critical infrastructure managers in government and industry can/will face while maintaining mission operations and staff accountability in the midst of multiple overlapping roles and responsibilities in our rapidly changing world.
At the conclusion of this program, students will be able to:
- Pre- / post-9/11 and the formation of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
- Describe the purpose and organization of the DHS, critical infrastructure and resources
- Explain the concept of terrorism, the use and analysis of intelligence
- Examine how transportation systems are at risk and protected from terrorist threats
- Examine the effects of terrorism on public health or cyber terrorism
- Describe the purpose and structure of the National Response Framework (NRF)
- Describe the U.S. approach to emergency management
- Describe the Incident Command System (ICS) and incident response situations
- Write a response plan to an emergency situation
- Describe communication and ethical considerations involved in homeland security
- Describe the use of communication technologies in emergency situations
- Examine the role of various fields in preparing for and responding to emergencies
- Describe the role of higher learning institutions in preparing graduates for understandingtheir role in homeland security
- Use Microsoft Office
Upon successful completion of this Columbia Southern University program, students would be eligible to sit for the Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) exam. Although there are no state approval, state registration or other state requirements for this program, students who complete this program at Columbia Southern University will be prepared and are eligible to sit for this national certification exam. Students who complete this program are encouraged to complete the externship option with their program. Students who complete this program can and do sit for the MOS national certification exams and are qualified, eligible and prepared to do so. Columbia Southern University works with each student to complete the exam application and register the student to take their national certification exam.
Externship / Hands on Training / Practicum:
Although not a requirement, once students complete the program, they have the ability to participate in an externship and/or hands on practicum so as to practice the skills necessary to perform the job requirements of a professional in this field. Students will be assisted with completing a resume and/or other requirements necessary to work in this field. All students who complete this program are eligible to participate in an externship and will be placed with a participating organization near their location. Columbia Southern University works with national organizations and has the ability to place students in externship opportunities nationwide.
Request to Enroll Today!
For more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org | 800-313-1992