The Real Estate Law Professional Program
This program takes an interdisciplinary and practice-oriented approach to real estate transactions, covering land transfers, mortgage law, and selected topics such as the structure and law of real estate transactions, including agreements of sale, title and survey matters, leasing, financing, easements, and development rights. Students will discover the importance of legal descriptions of the property, deeds, encumbrances and liens as well as the distinctions between real and personal property. This program will examine the real estate finance transaction from a practitioner’s viewpoint and will cover the typical documentation utilized in a real estate transaction including the mortgage instrument. As an introduction to Real Estate Law, this course offers students a fundamental understanding of property rights, principles of land ownership, sale, financing and conveyance, contracts, liens, mortgage financing, deeds, mortgages or deeds of trust, settlement concepts, leasing, and other property concepts.
Education and National Certifications
- Students should have or be pursuing a high school diploma or GED.
- There are no state approval and/or state requirements associated with this program.
- There is a National Certification exam available to students who successfully completethis program:
- Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Certification Exam.
At the conclusion of this program, students will be able to:
- Examine real estate principles
- Prepare a real estate listing agreement
- Prepare a real estate sales agreement
- Draft an addendum to a real estate sales agreement
- Prepare documents associated with title
- Prepare deed documents
- Prepare mortgage documents
- Prepare documents associated with closing a real estate deal
- Prepare documents associated with lease agreements
- Prepare real estate arbitration and litigation documents
- Prepare documents associated with foreclosures
- Research real estate issues
- Examine ethical issues in real estate
- Use Microsoft Office
Upon successful completion of this Columbia Southern University program, students would be eligible to sit for the Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) exam. Although there are no state approval, state registration or other state requirements for this program, students who complete this program at Columbia Southern University will be prepared and are eligible to sit for this national certification exam. Students who complete this program are encouraged to complete the externship option with their program. Students who complete this program can and do sit for the MOS national certification exams and are qualified, eligible and prepared to do so. Columbia Southern University works with each student to complete the exam application and register the student to take their national certification exam.
Externship / Hands on Training / Practicum
Although not a requirement, once students complete the program, they have the ability to participate in an externship and/or hands on practicum so as to practice the skills necessary to perform the job requirements of a professional in this field. Students will be assisted with completing a resume and/or other requirements necessary to work in this field. All students who complete this program are eligible to participate in an externship and will be placed with a participating organization near their location. Columbia Southern University works with national organizations and has the ability to place students in externship opportunities nationwide.
For additional questions, please contact the Continuing Education Department at email@example.com or 800-313-1992.