Course Code: CSU-DA 03
Course Duration: 6 months
Contact Hours: 750
The program prepares students for entry-level positions as a chair-side dental assistant. This course covers the history of dentistry, introduction to the dental office, the legal aspects of dentistry, introduction to oral anatomy, dental operatory, introduction to tooth structure (primary and permanent teeth), the oral cavity; and other areas. The purpose of this program is to familiarize students with all areas of administrative and clinical dental assisting focusing on the responsibilities required to function as an assistant in a dental practice. This course covers the following key areas and topics:
- Introduction to the dental office and history of dentistry and dental assisting
- Legal aspects of dentistry including policies and guidelines
- Introductory oral anatomy, dental operatory, and dental equipment
- Introductory tooth structure including primary and permanent teeth
- The oral cavity and related structures
- Dental hand-pieces, sterilization, and other area
Education and Certifications
- Dental assistants & aides should have or be pursuing a high school diploma or GED.
- Although there are no state approval or state requirements associated with this program, in some states, DANB-RHS certification is required to work in dental radiography.
- There are several Dental Assistant National Certification exams that are available to students who successfully complete this program:
- Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) Radiation Health and Safety(RHS) exam, and the DANB Infection Control Exam (ICE).
Dental Assisting Detailed Course Information:
- The dental assisting profession and the history of Dental anatomy and physiology
- Tooth charting, tooth surfaces, and classification of restorations on a tooth
- Parts of the jaw, areas of the mouth, oral health and preventions of dental disease
- Infection control in dentistry and occupational health and safety
- Patient information and assessment
- Foundation of clinical dentistry
- Dental radiology
- Single crown restoration, bridge, implant, partial denture, and full denture
- Dental equipment, accessories and the treatment room, hand pieces & accessories
- Dental cements and impression materials; Assisting in comprehensive dental care
- Coding of radiology services and the use of ICD-9-CM codes
- Dental administration and communication skills
Students who complete this Columbia Southern University Dental Assisting program will be prepared to sit for the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) Radiology Health and Safety (RHS) exam and the DANB Infection Control (ICE) national certification exams. Although certain states due require that Dental Assistants successfully complete this DANB-RHS exam prior to working with radiography (X-Ray) in a particular state, most states do not have other requirements. This Columbia Southern University Dental Assistant program focuses heavily on radiography / x-ray techniques and includes and important review of the DANB-RHS examination requirements. Students who complete this program are encouraged to complete the clinical externship option with their program. Students who complete this program can and do sit for the DANB - RHS and the DANB-ICE national certification exams and are qualified, eligible and prepared to do so. Columbia Southern University will work with each student to determine which national certification exam works best with each particular student and register the student for that exam.
Clinical Externship / Hands on Training / Practicum
Although not a requirement of this program, once students complete the Dental Assistant program they have the ability to participate in a clinical externship and/or hands on practicum so as to practice the skills necessary to perform the job requirements of a Dental Assistant. Students will be assisted with completing a resume and/or other requirements necessary to work in a hospital, dental practice and/or with other healthcare organizations. All students who complete this program are eligible to participate in an externship and will be placed in a healthcare organization near their location. Columbia Southern University works with national healthcare organizations and has the ability to place students in clinical externship opportunities nationwide.Program Details (PDF)