Course Code: CSU-PO 10
Course Duration: 6 months
Contact Hours: 780
This program covers information on the medical assisting profession, interpersonal skills, medical ethics and law, medical terminology, basics of insurance billing and coding, telephone techniques, scheduling appointments, medical records management and management of practice finances. Additionally, this program prepares students to understand and use electronic records in a medical practice. Course reviews the implementation and management of electronic health information using common electronic data interchange systems and maintaining the medical, legal, accreditation and regulatory requirements of the electronic health record. This course covers the following key areas and topics:
- History and background of the medical assisting profession
- Interpersonal skills, medical ethics, and basic medical law
- Telephone techniques and skills for scheduling appointments
- Medical terminology
- Basics of insurance billing and coding
- Medical records management and management of practice finances
- The effect of confidential communication laws, the release of information and HIPAA
- Provides a EHR experience using Medcin software to perform health information tasks
- Using EHR to manage patient information including the examination, assessment notes and treatment plans.
- Importance of data accuracy, consistency, completeness, and security of information
Education and Certification
- Students should have or be pursuing a high school diploma or GED.
- There are no state approval and/or state requirements associated with this program.
- There are several National Certification exams that are available to students who successfully complete this program:
- National Healthcareer Association (NHA) Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) Exam
- National Healthcareer Association (NHA) Certified Electronic Health Record Specialist (CEHRS) Exam
Students who complete the Columbia Southern University Physician’s Office Assistant Professional Certificate Program with EHRM National Certification will be prepared to sit for the National Healthcareer Association (NHA) Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) exam and the NHA Electronic Health Record Specialist Certification exam (CEHRS). Although there is no state approval, state registration or other state requirements for this program, students who complete this program at Columbia Southern University will be prepared and are eligible to sit for these national certification exams. Students who complete this program can and do sit for theses NHA certification exams and are qualified, eligible and prepared to do so. Columbia Southern University will work with each student to determine which national certification exam works best with each particular student and register the student for that exam.
Clinical Externship / Hands on Training / Practicum
Although not a requirement of this program, once students complete the Physician’s Office Assistant with EHRM program they have the ability to participate in a clinical externship and/or hands on practicum so as to practice the skills necessary to perform the job requirements of a Physician’s Office Assistant with a focus on EHRM. Students will be assisted with completing a resume and/or other requirements necessary to work in a hospital, physicians practice, clinic and/or with other healthcare organizations. All students who complete this program are eligible to participate in an externship and will be placed in a healthcare organization near their location. Columbia Southern University works with national healthcare organizations and has the ability to place students in clinical externship opportunities nationwide.
Program Details (PDF)