Course Code: CSU-IT-CTN
Course Duration: 6 months
Contact Hours: 375
The CompTIA Network+ course provides students with the basic knowledge and skills necessary to become an IT network practitioner. This course is designed to fully prepare students to sit for and pass the CompTIA Network+ Certification exam. Students will gain the knowledge and skills necessary to manage, maintain, troubleshoot, install, operate, and configure basic network infrastructure as well as describe networking technologies, understand basic design principles, adhere to wiring standards, and use testing tools. Additional job roles for prospective candidates include network technician, network installer, network administrator, help desk technician and IT cable installer.
Education and National Certifications
- Students should have or be pursuing a high school diploma or GED.
- There are no state approval and/or state requirements associated with this program.
- There are several National Certification exams that are available to students who successfully complete this program:
- CompTIA Network+ (N10-005) Certification Exam from CompTIA®
- Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Certification Exam
At the conclusion of this program, students will be able to:
- Summarize DNS concepts and its components, and increasingly converged networks
- Explain network structure, end and intermediate devices, and the interconnecting media
- Distinguish between circuit-switched and packet-switched communications
- Describe the role of addressing and naming in network communications
- Explain the purpose and function of protocols and standards in network communications
- Explain how protocols enable communications between different network devices
- Distinguish between networking protocols and networking standards
- Explain the advantages of using a layered model to describe network functionality
- Describe the role of each layer in the OSI reference model and the TCP/IP stack
- Identify virtual network components
- Describe the functions of the three upper OSI model layers
- Describe the function of well-known TCP/IP Application Layer protocols
- Explain the principles of network client–server operation
- Microsoft Office
Upon successful completion of this Columbia Southern University program, students would be eligible to sit for the CompTIA Network+ Certification Exam from CompTIA® and the Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) exam. Although there are no state approval, state registration or other state requirements for this program, students who complete this program at Columbia Southern University will be prepared and are eligible to sit for this national certification exam. Students who complete this program are encouraged to complete the externship option with their program. Students who complete this program can and do sit for the MOS national certification exams and are qualified, eligible and prepared to do so. Columbia Southern University works with each student to complete the exam application and register the student to take their national certification exam.
Externship / Hands on Training / Practicum
Although not a requirement, once students complete the program, they have the ability to participate in an externship and/or hands on practicum so as to practice the skills necessary to perform the job requirements of a professional in this field. Students will be assisted with completing a resume and/or other requirements necessary to work in this field. All students who complete this program are eligible to participate in an externship and will be placed with a participating organization near their location. Columbia Southern University works with national organizations and has the ability to place students in externship opportunities nationwide.
Program Details (PDF)