Course Code: CSU-B-HPRO
Course Duration: 6 months
Contact Hours: 375
The Human Resources Professional Program introduces human resources (HR) functions and related elements and activities to students wishing to enter a career in this field or anyone who runs or may start a business of their own. This program will outline for students the roles and responsibilities of members of a typical HR department, educating the staff that make up a particular firm in various corporate policies, rules and/or procedures as well as how their individual role will include HR-related activities, whether officially part of an HR department or not. Students will move through the evolution of HR management through to the modern functions of most HR divisions from the perspective of both management and subordinate employees. Further, students will explore various compensation structures and gain an understanding of the importance of maintaining fair and equitable compensation and benefit programs.
Education and National Certifications
- Students should have or be pursuing a high school diploma or GED.
- There are no state approval and/or state requirements associated with this program.
- There is a National Certification exam available to students who successfully complete this program:
- Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Certification Exam.
At the conclusion of this program, students will be able to:
- Analyze the role of HR as a strategic partner to manage the organization
- Develop a strategic HR plan for an organization
- Develop a personnel planning, recruiting and selection plan for an organization
- Identify key deficits and performance appraisal processes in employee development
- Outline the process to create a ‘job ladder’ for employees for career development
- Make pay plan and benefits mix suitability determinations in line with strategic plans
- Apply employment discrimination and labor laws to deal with employment issues
- Identify legal, ethical, health, and safety issues in the workplace
- Use Microsoft Office
Upon successful completion of this Columbia Southern University program, students would be eligible to sit for the Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) exam. Although there are no state approval, state registration or other state requirements for this program, students who complete this program at Columbia Southern University will be prepared and are eligible to sit for this national certification exam. Students who complete this program are encouraged to complete the externship option with their program. Students who complete this program can and do sit for the MOS national certification exams and are qualified, eligible and prepared to do so. Columbia Southern University works with each student to complete the exam application and register the student to take their national certification exam.
Externship / Hands on Training / Practicum
Although not a requirement, once students complete the program, they have the ability to participate in an externship and/or hands on practicum so as to practice the skills necessary to perform the job requirements of a professional in this field. Students will be assisted with completing a resume and/or other requirements necessary to work in this field. All students who complete this program are eligible to participate in an externship and will be placed with a participating organization near their location. Columbia Southern University works with national organizations and has the ability to place students in externship opportunities nationwide.
Program Details (PDF)