Course Code: CSU-ACCT-P
Course Duration: 60 months
Contact Hours: 375
The Accounting Professional program provides students the basic competencies involved in an accounting or financial role for small businesses or in a support role for CPAs and other accounting professionals in a larger firm. An in-depth understanding of accounting principles will ensure professionals have the skills necessary to undertake the tasks and analysis required to work as an entry-level professional, provide bookkeeping services to small businesses of all sorts, liaise between small businesses and their accounting firms or support a team of accounting professionals.
Education and National Certifications
- Students should have or be pursuing a high school diploma or GED.
- There are no state approval and/or state requirements associated with this program.
- There are several National Certification exams that are available to students who successfully complete this program:
- National Association of Certified Professional Bookkeepers (NACPB)Bookkeeper Certification Exam
- Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Certification Exam.
At the conclusion of this program, students will be able to:
- Define terms related to business accounting and apply accounting principles
- Prepare & analyze financial statements for decision making
- Evaluate internal controls and account for partnership transactions
- Differentiate international financial reporting standards from GAAP
- Apply a working knowledge of accounting concepts and principles
- Demonstrate the ability to prepare and understand corporate financial statements
- Analyze financial statements using various ratios and tools
- Describe long-term liabilities
- Examine concepts related to managerial accounting
- Prepare and analyze various types of budgets
- Use Microsoft Office
Upon successful completion of this Columbia Southern University program, students would be eligible to sit for the National Association of Certified Professional Bookkeepers (NACPB) Bookkeeper Certification Exam and the Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) exam. Although there are no state approval, state registration or other state requirements for this program, students who complete this program at Columbia Southern University will be prepared and are eligible to sit for this national certification exam. Students who complete this program are encouraged to complete the externship option with their program. Students who complete this program can and do sit for the MOS national certification exams and are qualified, eligible and prepared to do so. Columbia Southern University works with each student to complete the exam application and register the student to take their national certification exam.
Externship / Hands on Training / Practicum
Although not a requirement, once students complete the program, they have the ability to participate in an externship and/or hands on practicum so as to practice the skills necessary to perform the job requirements of a professional in this field. Students will be assisted with completing a resume and/or other requirements necessary to work in this field. All students who complete this program are eligible to participate in an externship and will be placed with a participating organization near their location. Columbia Southern University works with national organizations and has the ability to place students in externship opportunities nationwide.
Program Details (PDF)