Coast Guard Tuition Assistance
Eligible active-duty members of the U.S. Coast Guard may receive Coast Guard Tuition Assistance (CGTA) for classes taken off-duty. CGTA may fund courses for eligible participants 100 percent of the amount paid for tuition and fees up to the maximum amount of:
- $250 per semester credit hour
- $2,250 per fiscal year
For assistance applying to CSU through the NKO or WebTA Portal, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (800) 977-8449 ex 6533.
If your education service officer uses the automated TA process via the NKO Portal, you may access the NKO website here: http://my.navy.mil/
You may access the SOP on how to complete the WEBTA process here: https://myeducation.netc.navy.mil/g_user_guide.pdf
The following rules apply to Coast Guard Members applying for CGTA:
- Coast Guard members must be on active duty or a Reservist on long-term orders greater than 180 days. Officers may incur an additional service commitment after completion of an authorized course.
- WebTA application must be submitted no later than 14 days prior to the course start date.
- CGTA is available for undergraduate and graduate degree programs and will not cover student fees.
- Establishment of lifetime credit hour limits are calculated on all CGTA utilized since program inception and are as follows:
- 130 semester hours for undergraduate work
- 40 semester hours for graduate work
- Course start date determines the fiscal year funding to be used
- Enlisted members must complete all courses authorized by CGTA prior to discharge, retirement, or RELAD.
TA is available to members seeking their first degree. TA is no longer authorized for members pursuing an additional degree at the same or lower level. To access CGTA frequently asked questions, please visit https://www.uscg.mil/forcecom/Our-Organization/FORCECOM-UNITS/ETQC/Voluntary-Education/Active-Duty/.