This program will build upon students’ existing user-level knowledge and experience with personal computer software and hardware in order to present fundamental concepts and techniques that technicians use every day on the job. Upon completing this course, students will gain the essential skills and technical expertise necessary to install, upgrade, configure, troubleshoot, optimize, repair and perform preventative maintenance on basic personal computer hardware and operating systems. This course is designed to fully prepare students to sit for and pass the CompTIA A+ (Core 1 and Core 2) Certification exams. Students are eligible for an optional externship with a local employer after successful course completion.
This course is designed to fully prepare students to sit for and pass the CompTIA A+ (Core 1 and Core 2) Certification exams. Students are eligible for an optional externship with a local employer after successful course completion.
- Hardware: Identifying, using, and connecting hardware components, devices, and connectors
- Windows Operating System: Installing and supporting the Windows OS including command line and client support
- Software Troubleshooting: Troubleshooting PC, laptop, and mobile device issues including application security support
- Networking: Understanding types of networks and connections including TCP/IP, WIFI, and SOHO
- Hardware and Network Troubleshooting: Troubleshooting device and network issues
- Security: Identifying and protecting against security vulnerabilities for devices and their network connections
- Mobile Devices: Installing and configuring laptops and other mobile devices (wearable technology, fitness monitors, etc.) including cloud computing
- Other OS and Technologies: Understanding the Mac OS, Linux, and mobile OS
- Operational Procedures: Following best practices for safety, environmental impacts, communication, and professionalism
Optional Volunteer Externship Opportunity
Learners who complete this program are eligible to participate in an optional volunteer externship opportunity with a local company/agency/organization whose work aligns with this area of study in order to gain valuable hands-on experience. As learners progress through their eLearning program, an Externship Coordinator will reach out to coordinate placement.
Note: Additional documentation including health records, immunizations, drug-screening, criminal background checks, etc. may be required by the externship facility.