Alumni Association Constitution
Article 1: Name and Purpose
Section 1. The name of this organization shall be the Alumni Association of Columbia Southern University.
Section 2. The purpose of the Alumni Association and its Board of Directors shall be to strive for the advancement of Columbia Southern University, to assist the work of the University management through mutually beneficial relationships with alumni, and to promote the educational, community and business lifestyles with which the University is identified.
Section 3. The mission of the Columbia Southern University Alumni Association shall be to advance Columbia Southern University through building loyalty, fellowship and commitment among its members.
Section 4. Columbia Southern University assumes no financial interest in the Alumni Association.
Article II: Membership
Section 1. Regular membership shall be graduates of Columbia Southern University. There are no fees and membership is achieved via registration with the CSU Alumni group based in LinkedIn.
Section 2. Associate membership shall be open to Columbia Southern University faculty by invitation only by a regular member of the Alumni Association (one faculty member per graduate).
Article III: Board of Directors
Section 1. Membership. There shall be a Board of Directors (hereafter referred to as The Board) consisting of five individuals: three regular members of the Alumni Association and with no more than two being full-time staff members of Columbia Southern University.
Section 2. Terms. The Board members shall serve a two-year term. The Board members shall serve no more than two consecutive terms. Terms will begin the third Monday of January.
Section 3. Organization and Meetings. During each year of service, The Board will meet twice a year. Additional meetings can be conducted on as-needed basis with a quorum of at least three members. Meeting minutes shall be documented and distributed to members of the Association. Meeting can be conducted via web, phone or in person.
Section 4. Responsibilities. The Board’s duties shall consist of:
- Selection of officers (president, vice president, secretary) for the Alumni Association based on nominations from the regular membership.
- Establish and execute objectives for The Board for the members’ two-year term
- Establish annual agenda for officers of the Association at beginning of each selection process
- Monitor execution of said agenda by officers of the Association
- Ensure the integrity and name of Columbia Southern University is represented properly by the officers and Association membership in all endeavors
- Promote and enhance communications between the University and its alumni
Section 5. Nomination. The full Board membership will select three members of succeeding board members based on nominations from the regular Alumni membership. All nominees must be active members of the Association for a period of at least one year. Columbia Southern University staff members of The Board shall be selected by the president or provost of Columbia Southern University.
Article IV: Officers of Alumni Association
Section 1. Selection. The officers of the Association or Executive Committee of the Alumni Association will be the president, vice president and secretary. The goal of the committee is to coordinate and promote programs that instill good will and pride, and provide opportunities for professional growth and social interaction among the regular membership of the Association.
Candidates for the officer positions will be nominated by regular membership of the Association. The Board will select officers from the pool of candidates.
Section 2. Terms. The officers shall serve one-year terms.
Section 3. Responsibilities of the overall officers are as follows:
Part a. The President shall be the presiding officer at all meetings of the Alumni Association and of the Board.
Part b. The Vice President shall assume the responsibilities of leadership in the absence of the President.
Part c. The Secretary shall be responsible for recording the minutes and records of all meetings of the Alumni Association and Board of Directors.
Article V: Association Meetings
Section 1. Annual Meeting. There shall be an annual meeting of the Association held in conjunction with a major school event such as graduation. Electronic notice of such meeting will be distributed and attendance shall be directed by the Secretary.
Section 2. Quorum. A quorum for business at Association meetings shall consist of at least two officers and those members present at the time the meeting is called to order.
Article VI: Alumni Association Bylaws
Section 1. Meetings. The Executive Committee (President, Vice President and Secretary) shall meet once every quarter of their service year, unless otherwise decided by the members. The Chapter shall host at least two (2) meetings per year.
Section 2. Elections. The Board and Executive Committee will appoint a three-member Nominating Committee from the regular membership of the Association. The Nominating Committee will secure all nominations from regular membership. A chairperson will be appointed. The nomination period will begin Oct. 1 and end the third Monday in November (or thereabouts). The Board will announce the new officers (Executive Committee) not later than Jan. 1. All officers shall hold office for a term of one (1) year. Nominees for office must be a member of Alumni Association for at least one year, three letters of recommendation from (2) Association members and (1) Columbia Southern University faculty and submit a letter of intent explaining goals and plans for office.
Section 3. Removal from office. A Board member of the Alumni Association can be removed by majority vote of the remaining Board members if the individual is deemed unfit to serve based on sound evidence and proof of failure to meet his/her duties of the Board. Members of the Executive Committee can be removed by majority vote of the Board of Directors if an Executive Committee member is deemed unfit to serve based on sound evidence and proof of failure to meet his/her duties in a reasonable manner.
Section 4. Responsibilities of Officers. The President is the highest officer in the Executive committee and Alumni Association of Columbia Southern University. The President’s leadership prowess and guidance should be the model and inspiration for other members in achieving the objectives of the Association.
The President shall:
- Assume office on third Monday in January.
- Preside at all meetings of the chapter.
- Preside at meetings of the Executive Committee.
- Serve as ex-officio member of all committees.
- Carry out the annual plan.
- Make appointments to all committees.
- Work to ensure chapter and committee goals are accomplished yearly.
- Submit a chapter report to CSU alumni Association on or immediately before March 15 of each year.
- Represent CSU in the chapter area.
- Attend annual Alumni Association graduation
- Perform such duties that are inherent of the office of President and meet the various ongoing needs of the Board and Association.
The Vice-President shall
- Perform the duties of the President in the absence or disability of the President.
- Attend meetings of the Executive Committee.
- Assist the President in chapter activities.
- Attend annual Alumni Association graduation.
- Perform other duties as needed to meet the various ongoing needs of the Board and Association.
The Secretary shall
- Keep accurate records of all meetings of the Executive Committee, coordinate meeting notes of all committees and other recordkeeping of the Association’s matters.
- Record minutes at all Executive Committee meetings.
- Submit a report of all meetings and activities of Alumni Association to The Board and regular membership.
- Attend Executive Committee meetings.
- Work with Executive Committee and The Board to complete and file the annual year-end chapter report to the Alumni Association due on or before Jan. 3.
- Perform other duties as needed.